INTERVIEW OF MARCO CINELLI BY PHOENIX
1. Hello Marco ! Phoenix is glad to welcome you for this interview !
My pleasure. I am so excited to see what these questions will have me say…
2. As an Italian, I guess you like soccer ? Are you more Juventus, Roma, Fiorentino, Napoli, AC Milan, Inter Milan fan ?
I am an AS Roma supporter. My father told me I can change everything in life except for the football team I love. I was imposed to be an AS Roma supporter, but I’ve been loving the team after all. Problem is that going to the stadium has became now a bit out of the way for me.
3. Is Marco Cinelli your real name or your artist name ?
It’s my real name. A lot of people ask me if I have middle names, but no, my full name written on the passport is Marco Cinelli. I am happy to see that it sounds good enough to be taken as an artist name.
4. Is Marco Cinelli a single person or a band ?
it’s just me. Maybe I should credit the other musicians, but I wanted to avoid things like Marco Cinelli & the Dirty Dicks or stuff like that.
5. Do you personally compose your music and write your lyrics ?
Yessir. I can say that I am rightfully entitled of “singer-songwriter” the old traditional way.
6. Do you play an instrument ?
Yes. I play guitar and piano. And guitar too. Oh, and also guitar.
7. When have you begun to sing professionally ?
At the age of 23. It was rather my first paid concert as lead singer. It was in a bar in Leeuwarden, Netherlands. And it was awful because I was so scared to sing wrong that I actually never sang right.
8. Have you already released albums (or EPs) before the one you're preparing now ?
I released several records with and for other projects, but under my name just one full-length record (“Parallel Postulate” ) and two 6-track EPs (“Breeze” and “Watch Me Movin’”)
9. What is the name of the album you're preparing ?
10. If someone asks you what is the style and genre of your music, what do you say ?
It’s Pop music. If you wanna know all the supplementary tags, well, that’s a listener’s task.
11. Your single "Uh-Some" is very well showcased by the clip of the same name which is very professionally made with a beautiful light, simple but efficient F/X. A clip very class, sober, so Italian isn't it ?! By the way is it intrusive to ask you how much it costed ?
I am glad that you guys associate “Italian” with class and sobriety. I tried to make something visually interesting with a small budget. There is this guy who’s following me since the very beginning, and his name is Luca Scalia: he is the video maker and director of 80 percent of my clips. I’ve known him since high school, and he sometimes believes in my music more than I do. He’s got class, good taste, brilliant ideas and he is super quick and handy to work with. We enjoy a lot doing clips together. Now the clips cost us 1 but we hope one day they will cost us 1000 so it means that we can afford spending that amount of money in them.
12. Congrats for the many views of your clip "Uh-some" (more than 200.000 views yet since only 2 months it's posted). Have you some statistics about the kind of public who usually likes your songs and the geographical zone ?
Thank you, this was a brilliant achievement for me. I daily monitor my views and my statistics in order to improve my popularity. I am usually accurate in number-of-views-foreseeing and stuff like that, according to what is my type of audience and where it is from, but somehow, something changed for this last clip. I didn’t expect such a warm response. I am flattered and more motivated to release new music.
13. The name of your single "Uh-Some" is original. Besides the obvious pun with "awesome", did you want to explain something else with the name "Uh-Some" ?
You are the first who asked me that. Uh-some is obviously related to awe-some, but there is something else. When you think about “uh”, it’s an expression often used to reply to something you did not quite understand. For example, when someone ask you something you don’t know you may come up with a “uh?!?”. If you read the lyrics, the person whom I am talking about is certainly awesome, but also someone I don’t understand a heck of what’s going on. You know when you meet someone who completely takes your schemes and your certitudes to pieces? Isn’t he/she a bit “Uh?”-some?
14. Is your music more electro, more instrumental or mixed ?
My music has got electronic influences, but it’s mainly folk and soul in the melody and the chord progressions.
15. Do you already played shows and do you perform more in Europe or in other continents ?
I am working hard on preparing my live act. For the first time in my life I’ll perform playing mainly keyboards and synthesisers. The plan is to keep touring in Europe the way I used to do when I was based in Paris, but with this new flavor.
16. Besides your original songs, do you sometimes make some bands or artists covers ?
It happens sometimes. We played The Beatles with "Dig a Pony", David Bowie with "Let’s dance", The Rolling Stones with "Sway". I like to delight the crowd with a famous song. People get closer when they identify themselves with something they hear.
17. Has a professional photographer made the 3 very nice black and white photos of you that you sent me and I posted above ?
The photographer you are talking about is Enrico Caputo, one of the most talented photographer I know. It’s a coincidence that he and I are good friends. A great coincidence actually.
18. Why do you live in England (in London I guess ?) and how long ?
Yes, I have been London-based for one year now. I guess the fact that I sing in English makes it easy for me to live in an English-speaking country. Imagine living in Paris for four years and being suggested all the time to sing in French. Or in Italian when I was in Italy.
19. Is your deep personality more happy or more dark ?
Happy. I am a happy dude and very optimistic. Some may say my music could be a bit nostalgic, but that’s because I don’t sing all the time about happy things. In fact I think I prefer to sing sad songs, but this will never change my personality.
20. Thank you very much Marco for having kindly answered my questions, good luck, great success and be seeing you !
Thank to all of you to be so interested in knowing about me. See you soon at one of my shows!!!
Les principaux liens de Marco CINELLI sont :